Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Birds On A Wire Art





Thrifting this weekend, I came across these big bins full of old picture frames.





With prices as low as $1 each, I couldn't help myself and I picked out three lovely frames.





A little paint can make such a huge difference. I've learned that virtually anything can be spray painted. However they had a pretty limited selection of spray paint at the Hobb Lobb so I found some pretty acrylics.




For this project I also used a glaze medium and just a little bit of black paint.






Start by painting your frames. If you can, use spray paint because it really is a lot easier, or just paint a couple coats of an acrylic like I did.








While the paint is drying you can work on your artwork.

I used a dictionary for this craft but you could also use a large book. I would just recommend finding one with large pages and condensed text.

You can find super cheap books at thrift stores. They usually have a few dictionaries and other reference books.



I just happened to have this one laying around the house. I don't even remember the last time I actually looked up a word in a dictionary, funny how the internet has changed so much!

























             I experimented with some other variations as well. There are so many options...













I used a glazing technique to give a couple of my frames an interesting look.






Mix some of your glaze with a smidgen of black paint.





And paint all over the frame. Make sure to get into the all the little nooks and crannies.





Wipe off with a rag and you'll have something like this:






Now all that's left to do is frame your art!









And find a spot for it to sit..









or hang.




I'm not sure what to do with this one...





 I was thinking about trying embroidery art. Allison at Little lovelies gives an awesome tutorial for this sweet little artwork:





So cute right?















Meet Virginia Design


SHARE:

38 comments

Rachel // Maybe Matilda said...

Katy, that is adorable! I love the heart frame especially--too, too cute! I have a huge garbage bag full of old thrift store frames that I haven't used yet that my husband tried to get me to throw out when we moved recently . . . but I held on ;-) Now I just need to unpack them and do something cute like this!

Originally Yours said...

This is the most adorable blog I've had the pleasure of finding since I started blogging (recently). Fascinating, I'm hooked and a huge fan.

I love the Birds on a Wire AND the cute easy skirt with an elastic band...so inspiring!

Ruffles n Raspberries said...

I totally love your new frames! What a great idea! The birds are sooo cute..

Allison @ little lovelies said...

I really love the birds and the heart frame! I usually hate hearts, but you made the frame modern and fun. I might have to do that this weekend. Thanks for linking up to me!

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

i saw that same embroidery and it totally made me want to try it too haha. love your frames!

kachasek said...

wow, great ideas!!! thanks for sharing it :)
hugs from Poland :)

Nicole @ Sew Much Sunshine said...

Lovely project!

Jenny said...

those are lovely! thanks for sharing. you did a great job!

Mo said...

Wow. So sweet and simple. I'm doing a bird theme in my daughter's nursery and may totally copy this. Thanks for sharing!

Kristina said...

Oh my word, those are so cute! I have a couple of thrifted frames that have been waiting for inspiration...think I just got it. Beautiful!

Carrie said...

These are adorable!

Did you just draw the birds yourself?

Katy said...

Yes Carrie, I did. It's really simple. If you draw with a pencil first you can get the shape perfect before using a sharpie. I've just done so many that I was feeling bold enough to use a pen!

Thank you ladies for all of your sweet comments. (:

Aleisha said...

this is such a cute project! i love it!

Unknown said...

Ah! Thank you! This is perfect. I have been having a heck'ova good time painting frames, but all of these cute ideas of what to put INSIDE are the real treasures.

Yay!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

Wow, this just makes me happy! Love that turquoise heart frame!

Anna Elder said...

ahh, so super cute & great finds as well. just found your blog through meet virginia design.

Unknown said...

this is just adorable! I am now a new follower as well!!! Lovely blog!

Aubree said...

Loving this! Pinning this!

Amy @ Positively Splendid said...

What a sweet transformation! I shared it in my Saturday Seven lineup this week! http://www.positivelysplendid.com/2011/07/saturday-seven-no-18.html

Jo-Anna@APrettyLife said...

I love them! So simple and pretty!
Jo-Anna

Amy said...

This is fantastic! I have tons of old frames - now I just need to figure out where I'd hand this....

The Manlupig Family said...

I love this!! Going to make it and give it as a wedding gift!! It is right uo get alley!! Totally saved the day!!

Anonymous said...

I love this! I'll need to do this sometime in the future! :D

Anonymous said...

I love this! I'll need to do this sometime in the future! :D

Anonymous said...

I love this! I'll need to do this sometime in the future! :D

Unknown said...

I love this! It is so adorable. I really like the dictionary paper. Fabulous! I am sharing on facebook and twitter!

Julie Jordan Scott said...

Almost all my art is made from books lately... as a writer (who creates art for fun and to occasionally sell) it is the perfect fit. I may try to make a couple of these over the weekend for a table I am going to host at an art show next weekend. I have the perfect idea, actually.... love it!!!

Karen said...

adorable! great tutorial!

Byrd said...

i found your blog via pinterest today and i love it. but it is also so weird to see the places in your pictures because i live in the same area as you and recognize them LOL

bec @ smallbirdie.com said...

found you from interest too!! LOVE your blog! your newest follower!

www.smallbirdie.com

Anonymous said...

Love the bird on a wire theme. And the dictionary pages are super cute idea. Thanks for sharing!

Have you ever heard of Madart? She has a Bird Painting very similar to your post!

http://www.denydesigns.com/collections/madart-inc-shower-curtains/products/madart-inc-birds-of-a-feather-shower-curtain

Amanda said...

Could art get any easier? Seriously simple - love.

Natasha said...

I LOVE this!!! I'm thinking of where I could put one.... Love Love Love your style!

emii said...

Wow, I love this! The blue love heart is especially cute. I so just want to go to a second hand shop and just find a bunch of frames and stuff! :D

Katie said...

These are so lovely! What a great idea. And that heart frame is so sweet.

Unknown said...

Katy! These are awesome. Very cute idea.

Shannon said...

I love this, and I already made one and will make another tomorrow. The first one I made with sheet music paper and I think the next one will be on newspaper. I painted the second frame copper (acrylic) and it looks really nice. I am still on the lookout for a heart shaped frame, though!

Darren Demers said...

I just happened to have this one laying around the house. I don't even remember the last time I actually looked up a word in a dictionary, funny how the internet has changed so much! cute cheap comforter sets , poly cotton bed sheets online ,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger templates by pipdig