Friday, May 18, 2012

Pleated Skirt Upcycle


I found this great pleated skirt at Goodwill a few months ago. The length was a little awkward at first. Not long enough to be a maxi on my tall self, so I cut a good 8 inches off and serged the new end. 


Drawing inspiration from some of these and other great skirts on Pinterest...

source

source

source

I decided to give my skirt a pop of color. Using Rit's color guide formula, I found the perfect combination to get a fresh, minty blue. Who would've thought yellow and teal would come together to make mint blue? As it turns out the ratio of 1 tsp. teal to 1 tsp. lemon yellow to 1 cup of water creates the pretty hue. 







Brandon, a few friends, and I just got home from Galveston Island. It was so nice to get some sand and sun after a long, tough semester. Louie came with us of course and he loved the beach. He was running around like a crazy dog through the water and got a good roll in the sand. 

Here he is in all his wet, sandy glory. 


Are the dog pictures getting old yet? (;

...

9 comments:

Thrifty Miss Smith said...

so very pretty and great pics too. I love all of your stuff :) I just used your elastic under the tongue of a shoe from your yellow shoe makeover and it works great! Thanks so much for doing what you do and inspiring people like me :) Have a great weekend!

Emily said...

The dog pictures are NOT getting old. He is adorable!

Kendall said...

Love what you did with the skirt & keep the dog pics coming!

--kendall
songbirdsandbuttons.blogspot.com

Lady Mockingbird said...

oooh how these pics make me miss that muddy beach and its beautiful brown waters!!

how awesome that you experimented and it turned out great!! I have 1/2 a bottle of teal in my stash.. might need to run out for some lemon and give "minty blue" a try!

congrats on finishing your semester, good to see you are getting to relax with some fun in the sun!

~Amy

Jessica said...

This is so cute! I love it. What a great idea to dye the fabric to get a beautiful color. :-)

Princess Dory said...

Louie, ah just too cute! xD And your skirt is absolutely beautiful!

Veva said...

I love the new color!
the picture of the dog is so lovely!!
Kiss

http://mywhiteidea.blogspot.com.es/?m=1

Carly said...

Louie is so cuteeeee!!! Happy anniversary :)

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

Very cute Katy!!! And louie is just adorable, lol!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...