Monday, July 2, 2012

How to Add Pockets to a Skirt, Shorts, Tunic, Etc.


*Even though pockets are covered in this tutorial, I'm re-posting a separate how-to for organizational purposes.*

Pockets can really add so much functionality to your creations. I don't know about you but, I'm much more motivated to buy a dress I like in a store if it has pockets. It only makes sense to add them to what I make. Besides adding pockets to a pattern, you can use this tutorial to add pockets to store bought dresses, skirts, shorts, etc. (just be prepared to lose around an inch in seam allowances). If you're  adding pockets to your own pattern or to another tutorial follow the steps below. If you're adding them to an already put-together garment, first rip the outer seams out a few inches above and all the way down (to the hem) from where the pockets will be. 

Materials:

1/3 yard Cotton

Tutorial:

Fold your fabric so that you have four layers of fabric on top of one another. Lay your hand down and free hand a pocket pattern. One side of the pocket should be a straight line. The rest doesn't really matter too much, kind of a slanty oval works best. As you can see this is quite the roomy pocket (I like mine that way :). 


It's really a lot like cutting valentines hearts out. 


Cut so that you have four identical pocket pieces. 


Pin the pockets 3 inches below the waist of the garment, right sides together.


Sew with a 1/4" inseam.


Iron the seam open.


Pin the panels of your garment right sides together with the pockets outstretched as shown. 


Sew with a continuous stitch everywhere shown in the picture below. Finish the edges with a serger or a zig-zag stitch.


Turn the garment right side out and shape the pockets with an iron. 


I love how it adds a pop of color to my color block dress. A printed fabric would be really fun too. 


Questions? Ask away (:

...

13 comments:

jax said...

Awesome, awesome. I can't wait to try this for myself. Thank you.
-Jackie

Liz Howell said...

Gosh your tutorials are amazingly clear and your ideas are wonderful!! i am just in love with that maxi dress and the color block tank dress as well and I feel that your tutorials are easily adaptable so that different sized people can make it work for themselves.

Thank you!!

Natalie Speth said...

what about adding pockets to already constructed garments...?

Katy said...

Natalie, there's some information about that up at the top of the post! Let me know if you still have questions about it (:

deloom.com said...

LOVE!

hedvigmurray said...

Thanks for this tutorial. It makes pockets look simple and do-able. Very inspiring and informative.

Ila Walker said...

I tried it today and it was super easy! thanks so much becuz i used to think it was going to be hard. i will be using ur guidelines in a tutorial for a maxi skirt on my blog

Ila Walker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Audrey said...

Thanks for the great tutorial... just the information that I was looking for.

Shama Sadruddin said...

Great tutorial! I'm going to try it this weekend! :)

-lovefromdallasxo.blogspot.com

Kate said...

This whole skirt is really great. Love the contrast stripe and matching pocket fabric Totally making one!

Tori Williford said...

I love this!!! Going to try to put pockets on my game day dress from your tutorial as well!

Lindy said...

Katy,

I love your blog. It is super helpful. I wanted to put pockets on a dress that I found, but I realized that there is a zipper that goes down the side (needed to get in and out of the dress). So the seams that are there are just around the zipper. How can I add a pocket to that side? If I add a pocket only to the side without a zipper will it make my dress look offset/odd? Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...