Monday, January 14, 2013

Reversible Chevron Rug: a tutorial


If there's one thing I've found while shopping to furnish my apartment, it's that a good rug is expensive. Even lower-quality, machine made rugs aren't cheap. I wanted to add a little something to my kitchen without spending more than $50 to do it. When I saw this upholstery fabric at my favorite fabric shop in Dallas, I instantly thought it would make a great rug. It was thick enough that I thought it might actually work and I love the fun pop that it adds to my kitchen floor. I'm not normally a big chevron fan, but for some reason this black/tan linen-y blend really rubbed me the right way.

I wasn't positive that this make-my-own-rug theory would work out, but I'm happy to report that it feels durable, thick, and doesn't slide around in the least bit (with a rug pad). It actually feels better than a lot of similar rugs I've seen in stores.  I'm confident that you could make a rug with virtually any upholstery fabric- oh the possibilities! And you could make a reversible rug for different moods or seasons. Maybe a spring-y yellow for April, and a pretty ivory for December. You could change the whole feel of the room with a flip of your rug. This project cost me well under $50 at about $30 total, woo hoo! 

I would recommend using this on hard floors, however, I'm not sure it would be best on carpet under heavy furniture. 

Let's get started!

Materials:


1 yard Printed Upholstery Fabric
1 yard Duck Cloth
1 spool of Upholstery Thread

If your fabrics are already the same width, all you will have to do is cut off the selvages of each fabric. If not, cut your fabric to the same dimensions. ( I cut mine to 36" x  50")


It's not necessary, but I took the time to serge the edges of my fabric. It saved me from dealing with fraying when I turned my rug right side out. It makes it feel a little more professional too. 


 I used a .5" seam allowance and sewed all the way around, leaving about a 10" gap at one end. 




Snip out the extra fabric at all four corners. It reduces bulk and helps your corners turn out nicely. 


Using the gap you left, turn your rug right-side out. Use a hot iron to help shape your rug. You'll also need a pointed object to help turn out your corners. 


 Turn in the edges of the gap so that it fleshes with the rest of the rug. 


Finally, close up that gap with a quick top-stitch. You can continue the stitch all the way around if you'd like. 


And that's it! Easy peasy. 


Make sure to slap one of these underneath to prevent sliding and you're all set. 


 I love that this enables you to make a rug in a non-standard size.  You could make one that's the perfect size for the space you have in mind. 



The pictures really don't do it justice. It's much more grand in person. Brings me a little joy everytime I'm in the kitchen (:



Hope you enjoy!
...

24 comments:

pendy said...

What a fabulous idea! I can see this working for a runner, too.

Jenn @ What You Make It said...

Wow, I am so impressed! It looks great - like you bought it. But I'm sure you couldn't have bought a cuter one for under $50 - and you can actually say you made this one : ) Love it!

Allyson Butler said...

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing!

Brie said...

This is so cute! I love how simple it is- definitely something I might attempt- I've been on the lookout for a rug too. :)

Rebecca @ Herons Crafts said...

This is such a good idea simple but incredibly cute! I am pinning this as I am moving into my own place next year and you never know - I may need a rug!

Kate said...

Super cute. I love how graphic it is! It makes a great statement.

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

what a great idea! Rugs really are way too expensive lol

Ashlee :) said...

I love, love, love it!!!

Candie@Craftbaby.com said...

This is so great! What font did you use to write "Reversible Rug Tutorial" in the very first photo? I've been searching for that font forever! I LOVE IT!

Em @ And Nothing Else Matters said...

I absolutely this idea! So going to make myself a few floor rugs now, thank you!

lotusbomb said...

I love this! Totally inspired to make one for my bathroom! Thanks!

Fancy That Notion said...

I love it! Haha did you stand on the counter to take the second to last photo?;)

kelly said...

ow!!!! so pretty!

Angie said...

hi

Martha said...

I love it! It's so unique!

-Martha
marthaslittle-bigworld.blogspot.com

Rebecca Grace said...

This is such a clever idea. Your rug looks FANTASTIC!

You know, this is a great idea not only because it saves money; you can also make your rug to any custom shape or size. My kitchen has a weird peninsula shaped like the end of a hockey stick and I can't find a rug that fits in front of the sink as well as the angled space to the left, where I stand with my cutting board. With your method, I could make my own for an exact fit.

Hey, I had an idea -- you know that fabric with the grippy white dot bumps on the right side, the stuff they sell for the soles of the feet when you make footsie pajamas for kids? I wonder if you could use that for the rug backing to prevent slipping instead of a separate rug pad? What do you think?

Kenneillia Mighty said...

Love the carpet!

Kenneillia M.
The Style Vow
FaceBook
Bloglovin
Twitter
Tumblr

SmashinBeauty said...

That is so awesome

Jennifer said...

Thanks for posting this, Katy! I am going to make a rug for our bathroom and this will help a bunch! I, too, am unhappy about the price of rugs. :)

Sarah Jane Colleran said...

Oooooh love this! Just want I needed:) Thank you

Jose Rivolta said...

Hola, hemos agregado un trackback (enlace hacia este artículo) en el nuestro ya que nos pareció muy interesante la información detallada pero no quisimos copiarla, sino que nuestros lectores vengan directamente a la fuente. Gracias... simit por cedula

jendelachonie said...

The way you reduced the bucks at the corner was really helpfull to me. I found this problem on rug, skirt, pillow case etc. Thank you for that!

Just steped to your blog and already love it!

Chonie

Jose Rivolta said...

Hola, hemos agregado un trackback (enlace hacia este artículo) en el nuestro ya que nos pareció muy interesante la información detallada pero no quisimos copiarla, sino que nuestros lectores vengan directamente a la fuente. Gracias... consultar reporte del datacredito consultar reporte del datacredito

emilyruzicka said...

This is such a great idea! Love the rug, and would be interested in how well it'd work as a larger full sized rug. Great directions too, makes it look like do-able! :)

Emily

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...