Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Spring Clean

I finally got around to organizing my craft supplies. I put it off when I first moved in and before I knew it my closet looked like this: 


Everything was in boxes, making it impossible to find when I really needed it. And of course that made me less inclined to do any projects. I decided I had to come up with a system and utilize all the space I have in my master closet. 


This is what I came up with: 



It may be tough to see with my poor lighting, but each bin has a label and houses a different category of supplies. 

I LOVE this form of organization because I actually stick to it! When I need to put something away, I just find the category bin it belongs in and toss it in. There's no painstaking straightening and organizing everytime I want to clean up. And it's just as easy to find what I need. Another plus is that all of the supplies needed were less than $100 at WalMart. 



I got a couple of these at Walmart for only $15 each. They're not amazing quality, but they are solid enough to do the job I needed them to do. 


Once I had assembled the shelves and put them in the closet, I spent time making some labels for the linen baskets. They were just $5 each at Walmart. They're nice and durable and I love that they have an easy way to label them. 


It started out rough. I emptied my boxes that had previously held all of my supplies and tried to come up with a system. 


I knew I had enough paint, thread, and fabric to constitute having their own bins. Then I had to start grouping everything else together in a way that made sense to me. I spent a lot of time on the carpet going through each and every thing. I can't believe how much I've accrued over the last few years. 



Of course the biggest category was scrap fabric. I have enough of that to take up a whole shelf. 


Ahh starting to feel better. No real rhyme or reason to the way things are put in the bins, just kind of tossed in. 













One day these projects will get done...











So much better!



A place for everything, and everything in its place. 


I can't even tell you how much this has helped me. It's amazing how much more inclined I am to work on a project when I have easy access to everything I need. 

And yes, there are some projects to show soon (: 



SHARE:

22 comments

Amanda Rollo said...

That looks awesome! I'm moving soon and am going to need a new way to organize my craft supplies. And I love that everything was so cheap! Thanks for sharing!

Amanda @ Running In Heels
amandarollo.blogspot.com

Srta Pomelo said...

Wow, It's super!!! I need to organizate my space too!! Thanks for sharing!

Miss Pomelo

Jen said...

I'm glad you posted this! I was just thinking about how I need organize my craft supplies since I just moved. This will help so so much! Thanks! It gives me a great "diving off" point.

Katie said...

Oooh looks good! I know I'm more inclined to work on a project if my supplies & work space are clean. Have fun!

katieelizabethbaker.blogspot.com

Daisy said...

Love this system! I think I'll do this during the summer for my supplies. Thanks for posting it!

Natasha said...

We just moved into a new house and my studio is crazy. I couldn't even get in there until I started moving boxes around today :)

rremmel said...

Very cute! I'm moving in August to start grad school and I have to say, my apartment is not going to be quite as adorable as yours but you've given me some inspiration!
-Rheanna

canshesew.blogspot.com

Allyson McGuire said...

This looks so great! I'm moving into a new place to and will have to get on the organizing bandwagon!

Emily said...

Great job! I like the idea of being able to throw things into their bins without worrying about stacking and situating it all. That would be super helpful!

T&S said...

I love the linen baskets! I need to do something like that in my house!

XO Lourdes

Mallory said...

Thanks for sharing! We moved two months ago, and my craft room is so intimidating! I have no idea how to organize everything, or what to buy, or where to start. This helps a lot!

Unknown said...

I love a good spring cleaning! Right now, all my craft stuff is in a pile by the side of my bed. I have a hard time getting inspired when I have to dig through everything. I'm usually really organized, but it's hard when you don't have a lot of space.
This gives me motivation to get everything cleaned up and start making things again.
I love the symmetry of all the square bins. You did an awesome job!

Zoë said...

Your crafting stuff is organised much better than mine is! I bought storage boxes for my fabric and have a small set of drawers I keep stuff like ribbons and thread in, but apart from that it is all on one bookshelf and looks awful! I might have to try out something like your labelled storage bins!

Neon Rider said...

hi sweetie!! follow you!!

pls follow me :))



www.beautyandfashion-makeup.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

You did a great job organizing! I know how long it takes to organize everything like that...and I am in desperate need of it!

Amanda Rose
http://sewmuchtosay.blogspot.com

Rebecca Grace said...

Good for you! That looks like a great system and it really maximizes the utility of your closet. Although, if your stash of crafting and sewing goodies multiplies the way mine has, there will come a time when there is no more room in your closet for CLOTHING! ;-)

Unknown said...

I'm right there with you! I get so much more motivated to work on projects if my work station is clean and organized. Often times when it's messy, I'll end up spending time de-cluttering it, and by the time I'm done, I either don't have time to start my project or I simply don't want to do it anymore :P
Thanks for sharing, Katy!

Maggie
daisiesbliss.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Good thing for you, you got the chance and perfect time to organize all those stuff. You probably have lots of time to spend with it. I am also hopeful and am wishing to have spare time to clean my room and organize my things. I have been planning to make it possible for months already.

from Kelly Campbell at Online PhD Degrees

Rosie said...

This is so organised, it's pleasing for the soul! I love how compartmentalised it all is, must make it so easy to find what you need!

www.ciderwithrosie.com

Love Of Quilts said...

That's the best organizing I have seen. You have show me the way.

Karen said...

YOU'RE BACK!!! I missed your posting!

customized gifts for him said...

My online shop provides pretty and customized pillow ! include Baby Bed Bedding ,personalized baby blankets,pillow case baby,baby pillow set and other pillow!
accent pillow case baby canvas nursery

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger templates by pipdig