Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Big News



Friends, I've been holding out on some very big things happening in my life lately. First of all I graduated from my beloved Texas A&M this May with my degree in elementary education. It was an incredibly proud moment in my life.  The last four years have flown by faster than I could have imagined. I also passed all my certification exams and am now certified to teach K-6 in Texas.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


                                        And the even more exciting news is......I got a job!! 


I was incredibly blessed and fortunate to land the first job that I interviewed for. It was also my first choice for a number of reasons. It's literally 2 minutes from home. Hooray for no traffic mornings! I'll be teaching 4th grade language arts, which is the grade level I student taught in and have the most experience in. I also love that I get to focus exclusively on teaching reading and writing. The kids will have a homeroom class and will move together to three different teachers, myself included. 
And finally, it is a brand new school in a fantastic district. And when I say new, I mean new. They're still in the process of construction right now. Here's some of the progress pictures from a few weeks ago. 



This will be the front office/administration office area. 


This will be the library, right at the front of the school. 


Here's what we'll be a beautiful courtyard in the middle of the school.


And this is my favorite part. This is the incredible view we'll get from the back of the school. Gotta love those Texas plains. 


And last, but certainly not least, here are pictures of what my classroom may look like. All of the rooms have virtually the same design. Plenty of room, plenty of natural light, and lots of storage. 

This is the wall where my board will be. 


The window area over in the corner will likely be my reading nook. 


This was a feature that had me scratching my head for a while. I later found out that this little secondary room connects two classrooms together, and can be used for any number of things. We'll have tables in there and can use it as a workspace for kids, perform assessments, etc. Each room will have some kind of foldable wall to close off the space if needed. 

LOVE these big, dark cabinets. 


Looking out one of the windows from the flex space room. Good reference to see just how HUGE these windows will be. Bring on the natural light!


Rest assured I will keep you updated on the progress of my classroom. When I finally get my keys in August, I will be a mad woman, decorating like crazy. I've decided on a forest/woodland creatures theme. Plenty of trees and apples decor along with cozy, reading themes. I've been collecting fabric with plans of sewing giant squishy floor pillows,  a colorful bunting for across the room, and maybe some curtains and seat cushions as well. It's going to be a busy summer!

Oh and teacher friends (or non-teacher friends) please, please send any great first-year teacher resources my way. I'm especially interested in 4th L.A. lesson plans and resources. 

...

36 comments:

Amy said...

Check out living, laughing, and loving. She has some great teaching resources, and is an elementary teacher as well. I believe 4th grade, and her mother is also a teacher if I remember correctly.

james* said...

Wow, congratulations! It's exciting to teach---I teach 1st through 5th grade and I love it! You're perfect for the job, can't wait to read about your adventures!

Chrissy + Nate said...

Congratulations!!! It will be SUCH a blessing to have a new room that is yours first: my first classroom was dusty/gross from the last teacher in there, yuck! And you find old velcro/tape... so annoying. Definitely look on Pinterest and Teachers Pay Teachers: excellent resources for all things teaching! I teach Kindergarten, so I can't really help in the curriculum sense, but the decor/organization/set up is so fun! Can't wait to see what you do :)

beth lehman said...

what a great situation!!! i absolutely loved my first years of teaching, i learned so much and was so incredibly happy teaching. congratulations!!

Cupcake Couture said...

Congrats! That is so awesome! Plus a brand new building, how fun!

Tiffany said...

Congratulations, both on your graduation and the new job! If you're not already on Pinterest, you should be, because I have teacher friends who are constantly pinning various resources. :)

Tiffany said...

Duh, just saw your Pinterest icon, of course you're already on Pinterest. :)

Dotcat said...

I LOVE teacherspayteachers.com. There are many free printables and lesson plans!! :) Good Luck!

Rachel Booth said...

Congratulations!!! :) how exciting!! I'm also starting new this year (returning after maternity leave) - it's a great feeling!!! :)

Rachel Booth said...

oh - a great online resource (you probably already know of it) is Teaching Blog Addicts

KayoticSewing said...

Double congratulations!!! I can totally feel your excitement and am thrilled for you. :)

Tara said...

Congratulations! Sounds so exciting
xx

www.queenoffunkydiy.blogspot.com

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

congrats on the job and graduating! so exciting!

Susan Owenby said...

Congratulations!! That is lots of fantastic news. Sounds like a lot of exciting things coming you way. :)

RaeAnnK said...

Wow - you're going to be a great teacher...so good to hear about teachers that truly WANT and are EXCITED to teach!

Rebecca Grace said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Those little kindergarteners are the lucky ones. You'll be the best-loved kindergarten teacher since Ramona the Pest met Miss Binney and stayed in her seat "for the present." Can't wait to see how you put your room together. :-)

Amanda said...

Congratulations! It's amazing that you got a job so quickly out of the gate! I can't wait to see your progress pictures. :)

Daphne Shen said...

Congrats on everything! I hope you have a fantastic time teaching! xx

Daphne | Peanut Butter and Chocolate Life

Michelle said...

Congrats! Wow, a job right out of college? I wish I will be that lucky :)

Hot Mess Housewife said...

Congratulations all around! Welcome to the wonderful world of teaching; I teach middle/high school English, so I don't have 4th grade-specific links, BUT I have found great resources that are adoptable for all grades through two Tumblr sites:

http://thedogatemylessonplan.com/

http://classroomcollective.tumblr.com/

They both reblog EXCELLENT ideas for classroom organizing, anchor charts, lesson ideas, writing prompts, etc.

Also if you haven't read it already, Harry K. Wong's The First Days of School is a great book resource for younger grades, also - very helpful with organizing and behavior management!

The first year on your own is the hardest, but every year you learn SO MUCH as long as you keep your mind open, your ego reasonable (be open to constructive criticism and analyzing why things aren't working honestly) and your strength up (ENJOY SCHOOL BREAKS - you need your time to recharge)!

KatieQ said...

Congratulations! This is fabulous news. It's wonderful to be in a brand new school so close to home. Sorry I can't help with lesson plans or ideas for 4th grade. I taught nursery school.

Jennifer aka Scrappin' Aggie said...

Congrats on the big announcements! WHOOP! Our oldest will be starting A&M this Fall, and you are right - 4 years goes fast!!!!!

Katrina said...

Heya, congratulations! I worked in a special ed classroom for a year, and we had several fabric curtains covering bookshelves. It turned out that they were against fire code (in Indiana) since they weren't treated with anti-flammable chemicals, so you may want to check with your principal before getting too fabric crazy while you're decorating! Just a heads up :)

Maggie Baker said...

Congratulations! It's so awesome that everything turned out the way you'd hoped! I am sure you will be a great (and fun!!) teacher students will remember! :)

Bumblebee said...

Are you near Amarillo TX? That's so exciting! Good luck!

Sew Much To Say said...

You are so blessed to have this opportunity right out of college! Best of luck. I know you'll make a positive difference in these children's lives.

Amanda Rose
http://sewmuchtosay.blogspot.com

Alethia said...

That is AWESOME, CONGRATULATIONS on both your graduation and certfication, what an accomplishment!
I'm sure you will do well!

crearescout said...

Congratulations from all my heart!!!
Cecilia

rremmel said...

Congratulations! I also graduated in May... is it not the best feeling?! Good luck with your first year of teaching, I hope that you are able to inspire some kids to just absolutely love reading. What a great gift you're able to give them if you can do that!

Rheanna
http://canshesew.blogspot.com

Roslyn@Sew Delicious said...

Congratulations! I loved my first year teaching, it was such a blast. It's a really special year, enjoy it!

Bonnie said...

You are in for quite a ride! I retired after 27 years in elementary. Really miss kids. My first suggestion would be to keep a journal of all the funny things that happen (and there will be plenty). Like the kid who asks you how to spell VCR! Wish I had done that. There are tons of resources on the web. My favorite was www.teachersnotebook.com. Lots of good resources. Good luck and remain fair, firm and friendly. Enjoy that new school.

Lish @ Imprintalish said...

Congratulations! That is such great and exciting news :)

Katie said...

Katy congrats on graduating and getting a job!!! Can't wait to follow your teaching endeavors!

Katie said...

Katy congrats on graduating and getting a job!!! Can't wait to follow your teaching endeavors!

~Rasz~ said...

Wow!!! Congratulations! Just from seeing your blog, tutorials and all the great DIYs you do, I know you will open up the creativity in the kids who will be blessed to have YOU as their teacher!

Md. Minhaz Uddin said...

Great news thanks for your post
theme/skin pack for windows 7

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...